Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Little Birthday Fishing

I was awakened at 3:00 a.m. by the sound of hard rain accompanied by thunder and lightening.  I looked at the clock and tried to nestle back into my warm covers before my 5:00 a.m. alarm would call me to attention.  I had been waiting for months for the release schedule to lighten enough to allow wading on the tail waters of the Clinch River.  I had a busy day planned and I was concerned the weather would interfere with my agenda.  It was my birthday after all and while I’ve never been one to make much of this day, my wife had other plans. 
I made it to the Clinch with no issues and although the sun had not yet rose, I was set at ease to see the rain clouds were moving out and the morning would be dry.  I spent the early part of the day fishing my usual spot with no luck.  I began my walk out and took the advice of another fly fisherman and tried a run of water before I left.  Within 30 minutes I caught a medium sized rainbow trout.  This would be the first (of what I hope will be many) fish that I caught on a fly that I tied myself.  There is a certain sense of satisfaction that comes along with tying your own fly and actually catching a fish using it.  I caught a brown as well and before I was set to leave I drifted my olive scud through this run of water one last time.  I felt a slight tug and thought a fish must have hit the fly and I’ve missed my opportunity, but as I pulled the remaining slack from the line it became apparent that I didn’t miss the fish.
He (or she) broke the water and from 25 feet away I could see the most brilliant pink in his cheeks and the deep pink stripe that ran down his sides.  I would never have expected such a large fish to be in such a low run of water, but he was and now the fight was on.  I tried for several minutes to net him, but each time I would get him close enough to net he would sense my present and dash for the currents.  I fought him for what must have been 10 minutes before another angler assisted me by lending me a hand.  This was a beautiful fish with vibrant colors and a jaw that was beginning to hook.  I held him for a photo opportunity after our long tussle.  Writhing in my hands I could feel his sheer strength and couldn’t help but respect this fish and the valiant effect he gave to be free.  I measured him at 16” and slot limit or not, I couldn’t have lived with myself if I had taken him home.  This is the fish that all of those who fish the Clinch are trying to catch and to rob other’s of the joy I just experienced wouldn’t be right.
            When I returned home it was time to head to Cades Cove for my birthday picnic.  We dodged the rain showers that were off and on long enough to grill our burgers and eat.  The best part of the lunch was the cake my wife made for me.  We loaded up in our vehicles and make our way around the cove.  As we approached the pull off to Abrams Creek trail the rain was coming down and I begrudgingly kept going.  When we made it around to the cut through road we encountered a beautiful double rainbow that seemed to end in one of the fields just over the ridge.  The sun was shining through and it was obvious that this was a sign we should take the cut through road, circle back around, and head back to Abrams.  That is exactly what we did.  I was able to fish Abrams for an hour and pulled five wild bows from the same run of water.  It was the ending to a really nice birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment