Friday, June 17, 2011

Abrams Creek Fishing

I began fly fishing in the middle of the summer of 2010.  I enjoyed hiking and fishing the Smokies most of last summer with little or no luck.  I never realized how difficult fly fishing can be.  The local fly shop told me I was learning to fly fish in one of the most difficult areas of the country to fish and it only took a few trips for me to believe them.  What a difference a year makes.  Last weekend my friend Garret and I hiked up to Abrams Falls from the Cades Cove entrance and fished the little horse shoe.  Garret is the individual I blame for getting me involved in fly fishing and he has been like my own personal Obi Wan Kenobi, trying to teach me the ways of the Jedi.  It was my first hike to Abrams Falls and it was not a disappointment.  We hiked the 2.5 miles up to the falls and started our day just above the falls.  I was the first to get my wading gear on, so I decided to get my line wet while I waited on Garret.  I knew it would be a productive day when I landed a nice little rainbow with my second cast.  We could have left at that moment and the hike would have been well worth the effort, but the day was young and we had lots more fishing to do.
  The scenery was as beautiful as any stretch of water I have every walked.  It's ironic to me that part of the beauty is in the rugged nature of the area.  Much of Abrams Creek is surrounded by steep mountains because the river flows through a gorge.  The most difficult part of fishing Abrams is without a doubt the rocks.  This stretch of water runs through the limestone in Cades Cove and the water is rich with life.  This makes for larger trout and slippery rocks.  These rocks are the most slippery rocks I have ever walked on.  To make matter worse, my right boot had a blow out a quarter of the way into fishing.  A new pair of boots could very well make the father's day list.
We fished various yellows including yellow sallies and caught several fish each.  I think I caught five trout and missed a few more.  This was my most productive day of fishing since I started fly fishing.  I read often of 15 trout days, perhaps this is normal for many of the most experienced fishermen, but for me five trout is a grand slam. 
I enjoy Tennessee football, Disney trip with the family, and hunting but there is something about being surrounded by God's creation that makes me feel alive.  There are little moments that stay with you; sometimes it's a hawk flying overhead, sometimes the crawdad you see on the rock, or the perfect cast that lands a fish.  The world around you is still spinning but these little moments belong to you, the river, and if you’re lucky; a good fishing buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment